Understand SDG 12
- SDG 12 is to achieve the sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources; reduce global food waste across the production, supply, retail, and consumer levels; and promote sustainable public procurement practices.
- The global population is projected to grow to 8.5 billion in 2030 and 9.7 billion in 2050. If we maintain the current lifestyle, it would require resources equal to those from three planets.
- Over 2 billion people living in countries have to deal with high water stress.
- In 2016, 13.8% of food is wasted in supply chains.
- From 2010 to 2017, the global material footprint grew from 73.2 billion metric tons to 85.9 metric tons.
Data retrieved from UN SDG 12