Understand SDG 1
- SDG 1 is to end poverty in all forms around the world, including eradicating extreme poverty and ensuring that all men and women have equal access to economic resources.
- In 2015, 10% of the world’s population (more than 700 million people) lived in extreme poverty, on less than $1.90 a day.
- Globally, the proportion of people living in extreme poverty fell from 36% in 1990 to 10% in 2015.
- The pace of improvement is slowing, and projections suggest that 6% of the population will still be living in extreme poverty in 2030.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, 70 million people are pushed into extreme poverty in 2020.
Data retrieved from UN SDG 1