Understand SDG 5
- SDG 5 is to end all forms of discrimination and violence against all women and girls, eliminate early marriage and FGM (female genital mutilation), and ensure women’s full rights in all forms of work and leadership positions.
- Women and girl empowerment is key to SDG 5.
- 750 million women and girls were married before the age of 18. 200 million women and girls from 30 countries have undergone FGM (female genital mutilation)
- 19% of women and girls aged between 15 to 49 have experienced some form of physical and/or sexual violence
- On average, women spend about three times more on unpaid domestic and care work than men, and their burdens become even heavier because of COVID-19.
- In the fight against COVID-19, women account for 70% of health and social workers. In COVID-related leadership roles, women only account for 25 in national parliaments.
Data retrieved from UN SDG 5