Understand SDG 15
- SDG 15 is to ensure the conservation, restoration and sustainable use of all types of terrestrial ecosystems, including conserving natural habitats, preventing and reducing the impact of invasive species, and eliminating poaching and trafficking of protected species.
- Around 1.6 billion people rely on forests for their livelihood and yet 3.3 million hectares of forest were lost from 2010 to 2015.
- Arable land is being lost at a rate 30 to 35 times above the historical rate.
- 27% of the assessed species in the IUCN Red List are threatened with extinction
- 2 billion hectares of land on Earth are degraded, affecting around 3.2 billion people.
- Illegal wildlife trade involving 120 countries are threatening 7,000 species of flora and fauna.
Data retrieved from UN SDG 15